Welcome to my research page !
- 29.3.2004 This project is little outdated now, but Nancy Van Schooenderwoert kindly contributed modified source files for Visual C++ 7.0. They are in 2 sets that do not overlap. The first
set is the changes so it would work with the current paintlib. The second set is the changes she made for conversion
to VC++ 7.0 - the VC++ app didn't correctly convert from 6.0. She also provided notes she made during building this application under VC7. I didn't try it (because I don't use win32 systems anymore), but it should work. Please let me know. I'll create portable version of this useless software in Java real soon.
- 4.6.2001 New version ! Export to Postscript, full help, new decorations
- 16.2.2001 This site recieved Dr.Martix Excellence Award
As a part of my master thesis I created tool
named Penrose Tiler for generating penrose tiles. Now it is ready for
your downloads. Full with Visual C++ 6.0 source project files.
I'm sorry that work I wrote about aperiodical
penrose tilings is in czech language. This work will be
availabile soon for downloading for czech speaking persons. I will ty to put
some words on the web in english.
Here's new screenshot from Penrose Tiler version
2 (buid 4.6.2001) (click for larger version):
Titilngs galery, generated using Penrose Tiler
(click for larger version):
Download Penrose Tiler
Grab recent version. Download
self extracting exe or zip..
It's from 04/06/2001.
- Grab self-extracting zip (click link above).
- Run it. It will ask you where to put extracted
program files. Choose directory what you want Penrose tiler to be instaled.
- Click Unzip button
- Browse to choosen directory.
- Run Penrose tiller clicking on its icon.
- Enjoy !
- Start program. It will draw some random
prototile in work window.
- If you wan another prototile, pick it from
File > Clear and Insert prototile menu.
- You can see magnifiing glass cursor so you can
zoom into tiling clicking in some point or draging a rectangle around area
you want to zoom in.Just hold down left button and draw rectangle.
- For more complex tiling you can start
deflating process by clicking deflation button on toolbar, or by pressing
CTRL-D. NOTE: When deflation starts, thread is spawn into background doing
calculations. It will take some time. When thread is running you can't start
deflation again ! You have to wait to deflation end. Or break deflation thru
File > Clear or File > Clear and
Insert [proto]tile menu.
- Now you can choose some decoration. Just click
on its button on the toolbar. Try combinations of this switches and color
setting - you eill get very nice tilings.
- If you have your tiling ready, you can save it
to progams own format or export window to one of supported image formats
(PNG, JPG, TIFF).
- Find errors and let me know please !
Download source files for MS Visual C++ 6.0
Grab recent version download/penrose2_source_release_04062001.zip
It's from 05/25/20.
Now it's messy - you have been warned.
Compiling source files
- Download source files. Unpack ZIP file. Now
you should have penrose2_source\ directory with project. Don't bulid it
- Download paintlib source from http://www.paintlib.de.
Extract it to penrose2_source\paintlib directory. Read paintlib manual adn
download additional libraries you need. Build paintlib. Now you should have
Release and Debug directories under penrose2_source\paintlib\lib with
- Open penrose2 desktop file.
- Build penrose2 program.
- Find bugs, repair it, add features.
- Let me konw - send source to me :)
About used program components
Penrose Tiler is based on these fine free
Here are some useful links for further reading
about Penrose Tiles
First look into bibliography.
Dr.Matrix programming challenge, http://scientium.com/drmatrix/progchal.htm
Robles, Colleen, Tilings
Chaffin, Ben: Aperiodic Tiling in Three Dimensions http://www.cs.williams.edu/~98bcc/tiling/index.html
Durand, Eugenio: QuasiTiler 3.0, 1994 http://www.geom.umn.edu/apps/quasitiler/
Lewis , Andrew D.: Some Planar Tilings http://penelope.mast.queensu.ca/~andrew/qc
Geometry Technologies: Science U, 1999
Sir Roger Penrose http://www.worldofescher.com/misc/penrose.html
Prototiles atlas, with coordinates !
Useful when you create programs for generating
penrose tiles. Working - checked and repaired by me. Click for larger (700kB)
- 1.5 -7.5.2000 - starting project in Visual C++
- I must get Branko Grunbaums book - Tilings and Patterns
- I must create better homepage of this project - with explanation of
- 10.5.2000 - fixed to work under Win98/95.
Remove NT specific API functions.
- I must add starting prototiles & go to library tomorow
- 11.5.2000 - added 5 started prototiles, fixed
- library tomorow ... again
- program needs - remaining prototiles, open + save, export to image
file, help system, alpha version should be released next week
- 12.5.2000 - prototile ready, I'm nearly first
public release. But I must go home for now. I have birthday tomorow !
- features to be added before first alpha: woking threads, open + save,
export to image
- today i go to library again - I hope they get book for me
- 15.5.2000 - back again - working threads
- need fix - blinking deflate icon, close document crash, better computing
indication, better triangle list swap.
- fatures to be added: open and save + exports
- 16.5.2000 - vorking deflating threads in
version 2.8 finaly done, new screenshot
- 18.5.2000 - finaly working deflation threads -
both in Win9x & NT, tommorow - serialization and better obejct concept
- today I totaly rewrote DOC-View structure - i decidet to remove OLE at
this time - maybe next version will have this feature
- export to image formats - working, threads working on all Windows
- 25.5.2000 - binary and source code released
- no help, no PS export. full testing under Win9x and working !
- I finally have Branko Grunbaums book - Tilings and Patterns and it's great
- 26.5.2000 - new links in links section
- 1.1.2001 - program back in development
process. I created bibliography about subject.
- 16.1.2001 - this program recieved
scientium.com Dr.Matrix Excelence Award.
- 30.4.2001 - port of Eric Weeks quasi.c to
windows, zipped executable is here.
For more info go to original
site. This program is command line tool, but is quite powerful, but with
little errors. Source for UNIX can be downloaded from authors site.
- 4.6.2001 - new version ! enjoy
- next BIG version
- needs clean object structure (clean ANSI C++ library / MFC frontend)
- needs better print support (print whole + print window)
- texturing + color tiling algorithm(s) + new line algorithm
If you have some questions please write to me ! firstname.lastname@example.org